Thursday, November 20, 2014

Best Friends, Occasional Enemies, by Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella

Best Friends, Occasional Enemies is a collection of "humorous" essays (previously published as a weekly newspaper column) by the mother-daughter team of Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella. Despite the title, the essays are only occasionally about the mother-daughter relationship (more often about Lisa and her mother than the Lisa-Francesca relationship, which appears to be quite consistently loving and supportive). Generally they are about everyday life and the humor and insights found therein. Unfortunately, I don't think I laughed once while listening to the audiobook; I'm not sure I even smiled. I suspect the essays might be slightly more amusing in print than read aloud (especially with Lisa's over-the-top narration; Francesca's narration is more low-key and therefore more enjoyable--and she evokes some emotion with her contributions).

I know I say this fairly often, but this feels like a book that wouldn't have been published if one of the authors weren't already well known (Scottoline has written approximately 20 popular legal mysteries). The essays don't really have anything significant to offer and, since they're not funny either . . . well, let's just say: Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment