Monday, April 14, 2014

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum

Since pretty much everyone in the world has seen the Wizard of Oz, I am not going to summarize the plot, except to say that the book struck me as considerably more violent than the film (although it has been a long time since I saw the film and I could be wrong)--the tin man certainly does a lot of damage with that ax!

For years, various writers have speculated about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz being an allegory for populism and monetary policy in the 1890s. I am sorry to say I am way too literal to get that. For me, the story is about relying on yourself and your friends rather than the powerful--hmmm, maybe that is populism.

I listened to the book and, although Anne Hathaway occasionally got a little too dramatic, I generally enjoyed her narration.

Favorite passage:
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment