Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Blindman's Bluff, by Faye Kellerman

I'm on a mystery kick at the moment, and I probably wouldn't even include all of them on the blog, but I have a mini-rant to go on about Blindman's Bluff. First, let me say it's not a bad mystery--in fact, I enjoyed it. There is one ridiculous coincidence--Rina Lazarus, wife of police lieutenant Peter Decker, while on jury duty just happens to have contact with two people involved in the multiple murder that Peter is investigating. But overall, it's well-plotted; although the mystery's solution is not a big surprise, Kellerman does provide good insight into the detective work required to get to that solution and reminds us that, even at the end of an investigation, the police may still have unanswered questions.

Now for the rant: Faye Kellerman has written more than 20 mysteries--and she's the wife of another mystery writer and mother of a third. So how could she make the mistake of referring to a plaintiff in a criminal trial? Perhaps in days past, victims or accusers in criminal trials were referred to as plaintiffs. Currently, however, that term refers to the person who brings a civil action. Someone should have corrected this! (I realize I'm picking nits, but that's what a rant is for, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment